The Bridge Home

The Bridge Home

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Defeatist Design

Recently San Francisco Chronicle architecture critic John King writes of the “Guilty Pleasures” of some local architects. I get the impression that such a pleasure probably involves enjoying a building that some of the elite of the profession consider tacky. What catches my eye is Cary Bernstein's characterization of AT&T Park as, “'...depressing for its defeatist design aspirations.'” Defeatist? Is he engaged in some sort of combat? I must admit that I do not get modern art, but if it is confined to museums and private homes, I have no problem with it.

I do not like being assaulted by this weird looking stuff in public, whether it is in cathedral design (CarpeHunc, February 23, 2011) or Cate Blanchett on the Academy Awards red carpet. This appearance is not even worthy of a rating on the Skin-O-Meter (CarpeHUNC, February, 14, 2011), but I have to take this opportunity to say how awful that dress is. It is hard to see what Cary Bernstein finds so depressing. I just hope he spares the public his ideas of mental stability.

No comments:

Post a Comment