The Bridge Home

The Bridge Home

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Andre Dawson: One in a Billion

During his induction speech at the National Baseball Hall of Fame, Andre Dawson says, “I am proof that any young person who can hear my voice right now can be standing here as I am.” I understand that he wants to be encouraging and inspirational to youth, but this statement is absurd in the extreme. About one out of two million men have the right physical and mental assets necessary to play major league baseball. There are about two hundred hall of famers out of around one hundred fifty thousand major leaguers throughout history. The chance of some random boy standing in Dawson's place are about one out of one and one half billion. He has a better chance of winning the lottery several times. Although I am certain Andre Dawson's work ethic contributes greatly to his success, he would not achieve it save for genetics.

No comments:

Post a Comment