The Bridge Home

The Bridge Home

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Whom did Arnold Screw?

Willie Brown has been defending his position that Arnold Schwarzenegger deserves some compassion because he was trying to protect his family from the fallout over his affair with a house keeper. Brown has a point that after the affair became public many people were hurt. In his Chronicle column last Sunday, Mayor Brown describes a confrontation with a woman on Market Street who takes him to task for defending the former governor. The woman was outraged by Arnold's conduct as well as Willie's defense.

From my point of view this is much ado about nothing and we must ask the question, “Whom did Arnold really screw?” I have come to the conclusion that he screwed me, as well as many others. Several years ago there was an initiative on the state ballot to establish a Canadian style health care program in California. It was leading in the polls. Arnold Schwarzenegger campaigned against the measure saying, “It will be bad for buseeeness in Caleeeforneeea.” The initiative lost and we have no statewide health care program. At the time I was covered by my employer's health care plan, but I knew that I may not be able to count on this so I voted for the proposal. Sure enough, my company eventually cut my hours and eliminated my benefits. I have several years to go before Medicare or Obamacare and HIPAA extensions may be so expensive that they would wipe out my retirement savings as easily as a hospitalization.

The criticism of Schwarzenegger is off base and most people should rethink, or maybe even begin to think about, their attitudes towards politicians and the policies they propagate.

No comments:

Post a Comment