The Bridge Home

The Bridge Home

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Coliseum Cacophony

Today was Dallas Braden bobblehead day at the Oakland Coliseum. I decided to attend, but arrived too late to glean one. That was OK, I should have left earlier as over 21,000 fans showed up. I sat in the cheap seats, plaza reserved as they are called. It was a poor view of the game, but what did I want for $9.00? The game itself was a dismal, dull affair. The normally capable Athletics' pitchers were terrible and gave up sixteen runs. The A's made it a game by scoring nine runs in the late innings, but it seemed like a game that would not end. In the last inning there were so many pitching changes, walks and errors that I thought it would never reach cessation. Anyway, that was acceptable because it was a baseball game. What was so irritating was the constant din from the loudspeaker system. Between innings and with the Athletics batting it seemed as though there was either a constant drum beat or the twentieth playing of “Zorba the Greek.” I felt my anxiety level increase with each rendition. This was a dull game and no amount of amplified noise was going to generate excitement. Only the game itself can achieve this. It would have been nice to sit in peace for a couple of hours and have made the most of this wearisome event.

No comments:

Post a Comment